marți, 28 septembrie 2010

Ieromonk Ghelasie: "Hymn to all Saints" (English translation: Alice Butnar)


Mother of God, the Theotokos (detail), icon painting by monk Ilie



















After the rightful PROSTRATION before GOD,
The ONE in TRINITY beyond all,
To Whom shall I first dedicate my Devotion?...
What Saint should I first bow to?
For they all have the same Image of Saint,
Though each with a different Face.

The SAINT of the Saints is sitting on the THRONE,
He, CHRIST, GOD and Creature,
The IMAGE of ARCH-PRIESTHOOD.

And all others around, in different Orders.
First the MOTHER of GOD,
Image of the Saints’ CHURCH.

Angels in all the Colours of Heaven,
Nature with all the Fragrance of Flowers and Light of the Stars,
And Holy Men, in all their Virtues.

Humble and sinful, I stand in awe at so much GLORY!
Who should I regard first?...

On CHRIST’S BODY
I see a WOUND that frightens and pains me to my very bones.

It is the WOUND of my sins...

I can see a deep scar on the Face of the MOTHER of GOD,
On which the Tears of my sins are trickling, dropping out . . .
Amidst the countless number of Angels
I see a sad yet Smiling Face,
It is my Kind Guardian Angel...

In the multitude of Saints I discern my Saint,
I Recognize Him due to my very WOUNDS,
That are at the same time his Wounds...

Oh, what Praise should I sing before this SIGHT?
I Bow, Regard and keep silent...

I am not worthy of PARTAKING of this MARVEL

And yet it is Gifted to me...
Only through my PROSTRATION can I bring my Answer.



Published in the volume "Hesychasm", Platytera Publishing House, Bucharest, 2007, pp. 71-72. Translation from Romanian: Alice Butnar.
Copyright: Platytera Publishing House.

The Romanian (Original) Version can be found here.
The German Version can be found here.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu