luni, 27 septembrie 2010

Ieromonk Ghelasie: "Hymn of One’s Own Life" (English translation: Alice Butnar)


Christ the Saviour (detail), painting by monk Ilie, Holy Monastery Slănic




















Oh, MYSTERY beyond Nature, MYSTERY of my Being,
You, my GOD and CREATOR.

Oh, Joy of my Life,
You, MOTHER of GOD and my Saint.

Oh, Song of my Being,
The CHURCH of GOD and of all Saints.

Oh, Hallowing of my Life,
My Parents and a Certain Earth
With a Certain CROSS
That helps me ASCEND to HEAVEN.

Oh, GOD’S BLESSING!
You CREATE me and GIVE me Life.

Oh, CHURCH of the Image of the MOTHER of GOD,
My Cosmic MOTHER.

Oh, Paternity of one Saint,
I am begotten due to your Gift.

Oh, Family of Certain Parents,
Who give me birth on Earth.

Oh, what HONOR, to be GOD’S CREATION!

Oh, what Beauty, to be the GIFT of a Saint!

Oh, what Virtue for me to be
The BEARER of a CROSS,
Image of my People’s REDEMPTION.

*

At my Birth You, LORD JESUS CHRIST,
Were the FIRST to receive me,
Though, because of the sins you foresaw that I would do,
A bleeding WOUND was added to You,
A WOUND that GIVES me Life.

Likewise, GOD the ALLHOLY SPIRIT
Uttered a SIGH, with overwhelming MERCY.

Not to mention the MOTHER of GOD,
Who Deeply Crying took me in Her Arms...

Not to mention my Saint,
What Prayer He Raised...

Oh my Saint, You keep Hoping
That I, the sinner, will depart from sin.

And thus, in this Belief you take me as your Son,
And GOD gives me the RIGHT to Live.

Oh, my Saint, I am Born from Your Prayer!...

“LORD, my Heart is telling me,
That this sinner will depart from sin.
And thus do I receive him, though
I do pay his Right to Live
With a deep WOUND that is added to me.”

Oh, Saints’ DESTINY,
To RE-HALLOW all sinners,
A DESTINY that allows even the sinners to be Created,
And thereby to become Saints themselves...
In this Ideal of Creation resides the Mystery of Creation,
Even of those who should not have been created.


Published in the volume "Hesychasm", Platytera Publishing House, Bucharest, 2007, pp. 68-70. Translation from Romanian: Alice Butnar.

Copyright: Platytera Publishing House.

The Romanian (Original) Version can be found here.
The German Version can be found here.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu